Historical Garden District
Collection of Lousiana Adoption related images; Protestant Home for Babies, the Garden District, historical New Orleans maternity homes, Margaret Haughery, Margaret Haughery statue and Louisiana Hurricane Katrina artist Holly Sarre and former residents author Anne Rice (Interview with a Vampire) and Trent Reznor of NIN.
Click a photo to begin the slide show!
Protestant Home for Babies1233 Eighth Street Garden District - New Orleans
Established in 1926 by community women to provide shelter for destitute infants. Maternity services were added in 1959-1974.
Lafayette Cemetery No. 1Garden District In Lafayette Cemetery No. 1, there are society tombs for several volunteer fireman organizations (now extinct), the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, German Presbyterian Community, Protestant Home for Babies, Home For Destitute Orphan Boys, Poydras Orphans Home, YMCA, and the New Orleans Home for Incurables.
Margaret, Friend of OrphansAuthor Mary Lou Widmer
References Protestant Home for Babies
Margaret Haughery, Irish immigrant to New Orleans, lost everyone she ever loved, but she dedicated her whole life to the service of others.
Margaret Statue Friend of OrphansMargaret was the second woman in the United States to have a statue erected in her honor. Citizens of New Orleans commissioned a statue in her likeness soon after her death in 1882. Sculpted by Andrew Doyle using Italian marble, the statue has stood since 1884 in the Lower Garden District at the intersection of Prytania and Clio Streets.
St. Vincent’s Maternity HomeMarch, 1854, the School Sisters of Notre Dame arrived in New Orleans to take charge of St. Joseph's Asylum, founded to furnish homes for those orphaned by the epidemic. St. Vincent's Orphan Asylum was also opened as a home for foundling and infant orphans and entrusted to the Sisters of Charity. I.E. Catholic Charities
VOA Maternity Home on Magazine StIn 1915, a Magazine Street home was donated to Volunteers of America to help indigent women and children.
No one was turned away. In 1942, because of increased demand, the property became a maternity home, providing proper medical care, residential care and counseling.